The 2018 U Sports Swimming Championships take place this weekend at the University of Toronto, which will feature the top intercollegiate swimmers in the country. This is the third time in the past nine years that U of T will play host to the event.
Memorial will be sending five swimmers to this year's competition, which is the most the university has qualified since the 1980s. The lone male swimmer is Sam Leawood (Mount Pearl, NL), who will be taking part in the National Championships for the final time in his collegiate swimming career.
The women will be led by Jasmine Foran (Bathurst, NB), who is the reigning AUS Rookie of the Year and is coming off a seven-medal performance, including four gold medals, at the AUS Swimming Championships early this month. This will be Foran's first U Sports Championships and she is excited to compete with some of the best swimmers in Canada.
"I'm really looking forward to competing against the best athletes in Canada and I'm hoping I'll perform well enough to get on the podium. I'm feeling good going into the meet, so hopefully my results will reflect that."
Also representing the Hawks will be Veronica Reid (Williams Lake, BC), Allison Somers (Carbonear, NL), and Laura Pittman (St. John's, NL).
The Sea-Hawks swimmers will be competing in 16 events over the three days of competition, including the women's relay's. The events that Sea-Hawks athletes will be competing in are as follows:
- Women's 100m Breaststroke – Jasmine Foran, Veronica Reid
- Women's 50m Backstroke – Laura Pittman
- Men's 100m Fly – Sam Leawood
- Women's 400m Free Relay – Jasmine Foran, Veronica Reid, Ally Somers, Laura Pittman
- Women's 100m Backstroke – Laura Pittman
- Women's 50m Fly – Laura Pittman, Veronica Reid
- Men's 50m Fly – Sam Leawood
- Women's 200m Breaststroke – Jasmine Foran, Veronica Reid
- Women's 50m Free – Laura Pittman, Jasmine Foran, Veronica Reid
- Men's 50m Free – Sam Leawood
- Women's 800m Free Relay - Jasmine Foran, Veronica Reid, Ally Somers, Laura Pittman
- Women's 50m Breaststroke – Jasmine Foran, Veronica Reid
- Women's 200m Backstroke – Laura Pittman
- Men's 100m Free – Sam Leawood
- Women's 100m Free – Laura Pittman, Jasmine Foran
- Women's 400m Medley Relay - Jasmine Foran, Veronica Reid, Ally Somers, Laura Pittman
Seven Olympians will be on display, including Kylie Masse from U of T, who won a bronze medal in the women's 100m backstroke in Rio. Meet results will be available at https://static.varsityblues.ca/custompages/swimresults/. The event will also be available to watch live at http://sportscanada.tv/usports/.