Swimmers set personal bests at Dalhousie
Both Memorial swim teams finished sixth overall against a talented field at the Dalhousie Invitational this weekend in Halifax. Several Memorial swimmers had personal bests showing Coach Brad Hutton that progress is being made with the team this season.
On the men's side rookie David Haines showed his potential for Memorial with a bronze medal performance in the 50 metre backstroke, breaking 28 seconds for the first time with a 27.40. Haines, a first year from CBS, also broke a Sea-Hawks record by three seconds in the 200 meter back with his 2:07.67. The previous record holder was held by former All-Canadian George Colbert. In the 100 metre back he also had a personal best with a 59.11, good enough for sixth overall.
Peter Gregory was also a bright spot for Memorial. The second year from St. Philips raced well in the backstroke events with a particularly fast time in the 200 metre event of 2:10.35 to give him sixth place. Gregory was also the first Memorial distance swimmer to break the seventeen minute mark in the 1500m since Tim Rusted with his 16.55.80 seventh place finish.
Ryan Allen had a great meet for Memorial getting personal bests in all of his events. Memorial coach Brad Hutton will be looking for Allen to final in all of his events at the AUS Championships.
Brandon McKay just missed CIS qualifying time in the 50m breaststroke with a 30.28 and a fifth place finish. The meet was McKay's first in 18 months.
Senior Dayna Hogan made the final in the 50 metre freestyle before finishing sixth overall. Hogan will lead the women's team this season.
Most of the Sea-Hawks at the meet had personal bests with Samantha Tucker, Mykala Pardy, Jenny Stark, and Mason Jeddore all obtaining bests in all of their events.
Memorial men's results
- 50m breast Brandon McKay 5th (30.30) Ryan Allen 14th (31.50)
- 50m fly Allen 11 (27.70), Jeddore 22 (29.04)
- 100m back David Haines 6th (59.96)
- 100m free Matthew Avis 14th (56.77)
- 200m fly Mason Jeddore 10th (2:17.14)
- 200 IM Allen 11th (2:14.98), McKay 12th (2:20.41), Matt Roberts 13th (2:24.05)
- 200m breast M. Roberts 13th (2:44.75)
- 400m free Peter Gregory 13th (4:15.10), Haines 16th (4:31.52), Avis 17th (4:34.39)
- 400m medley relay Sea-Hawks (Haines, Allen, Gregory, McKay) 5th (4:03.74)
- 50m free Matthew Avis 17th (26.14)
- 50m back Haines 3rd (27.40), Gregory 10th (29.08)
- 100m breast Brandon McKay 8th (1:09.02) Ryan Allen 9th (1:08.07)
- 100m fly Jeddore 13th (1:02.89)
- 200m back David Haines 5th (2:07.67), Peter Gregory 6th (2:10.35), Matt Roberts 11th (2:21.68)
- 200m free McKay 12th (1:59.88), Avis 17th (1:59.67)
- 400 IM Jeddore 10th (5:02.51)
- 1500m free Peter Gregory 7th (16:55.80)
- 400m free relay Sea-Hawks (Gregory, McKay, Avis, Haines) 5th (3:38.69)
Memorial women's results
- 50m breast Jenny Stark 20th (38.20)
- 50m fly Mykala Pardy 27th (35.15)
- 100m free Dayna Hogan 9th (1:00.64), Jillian Doucet 23rd (1:05.48), Pardy 24th (1:05.85)
- 100m back Doucet 17th (1:13.16), Samantha Tucker 21st (1:18.71)
- 200m breast Stark 15th (2:59.75)
- 400m free Hogan 15th (4:55.83), Tucker 19th (5:05.48)
- 400m medley relay Sea-Hawks (Doucet, Stark, Tucker and Hogan) 7th (5:00.56)
- 50m free Dayna Hogan 6th (27.81), Jillian Doucet 18th (29.40), Pardy 20th (29.71)
- 50m back Doucet 15th (34.06)
- 100m breast Jenny Stark 20th (1:24.80)
- 200m back Samantha Tucker 16th (2:44.56)
- 200m free Hogan 16th (2:19.18), Pardy 19th (2:27.92), Tucker 20th (2:28.19)
- 400m IM Stark 12th (5:35.11)
- 400m free relay Sea-Hawks (Hogan, Doucet, Pardy, Tucker) 7th (4:20.85)