Improving Sea-Hawks race well at Dalhousie Invitational
The Memorial swim teams raced to some fast times at the Dalhousie Invitational this weekend with a number of podium finishes highlighting the weekend.
The young Sea-Hawks women's team continued to gain experience in the AUS this weekend finishing seventh overall at the Dalhousie Invitational.
Rookie Jenny Stark had a promising meet, finishing sixth in the 200m Butterfly and improving her times in the sprint breaststroke and IM events. Stark is just outside the top eight in those events, she will look to final in all of her events at AUS Championships.
Rookie Sarah Tremblett was just over her best freestyle times and had a good race in 50m butterfly, finishing in 11th place with a time of 32.48. She was also just outside the top eight and will also look to be scoring at AUS Championships.
A full list of times and places in the women's events can be found below:
- 200m back Tremblett 15th (2:20.74), Pardy 17th (2:27.05)
- 50m back Doucet 10th (34.71), Pardy 18th (37.33), Tucker 19th (37.72)
- 200m breast Stark 10th (3:00.53)
- 400m IM Tucker 5th (5:58.05)
- 200m Medley Relay Memorial (Doucet, Stark, Tremblett, Pardy) 7th (2:15.13)
- 50m breast Stark 12th (37.90)
- 100m back Doucet 12th (1:14.56), Tucker 18th (1:20.24)
- 100m free Tremblett 13th (1:05.31), Doucet 14th (1:05.69), Pardy 20th (1:06.70)
- 50m fly Tremblett 11th (32.48)
- 200 IM Stark 12th (2:37.21), Tucker 15th (2:48.85)
- 400m Medley Relay Memorial (Doucet, Stark, Tremblett, Pardy) 5th (5:03.40)
- 400m free Tremblett 10th (5:01.43), Pardy 14th (5:15.05)
- 50m free Tremblett 18th (29.57), Pardy 19th (29.71), Doucet 20th (30.11)
- 100m breast Stark 13th (1:24.44)
- 200m back Doucet 13th (2:37.68)
- 200m fly Stark 6th (2:46.23)
- 400m free relay Memorial 7th (4:33.79)
Rookie David Haines led Memorial to a fourth place finish at the Dalhousie Invitational swim meet this weekend. Haines continued his impressive start to his varsity career by medaling in all three backstroke events. He claimed a gold medal in the 100m back, a silver in the 200m back and a bronze in the 50m back to give him a medal of every colour on the weekend. He also helped the 4X100m medley relay team of Haines, Ryan Allen, Peter Gregory and Brandon McKay to a bronze medal finish with a time of 4:04.46.
Haines had personal best times in the 200m Freestyle by 6 seconds (breaking 2:00 for the first time), 50m Freestyle by .8 and 100m Backstroke by a full second. His 100m Backstroke time of 58.09 is now within a second of the CIS Championships time standard of 57.27. He is also within a second of qualifying in the 50m Backstroke and just three seconds off of the time for 200m Backstroke. His medal performances demonstrate his continued development since he only had one top three finish at the AUS Invitational in November.
Second year Peter Gregory also had a good meet with big improvements in the 200m freestyle and 50m freestyle and right on his best times in the 100m backstroke, 200m backstroke and 100m fly. Gregory was a big part of the relay teams success with strong best time swims in all three relays.
Second year Brandon McKay was very strong in the 100m freestyle dropping over two seconds off his best. He continues to be right on the CIS Championship standard in the 50m breaststroke, missing it by under a second.
The men's relay teams were effective with all the swimmers posting bests in every leg of the three relays. Haines, Ryan Allen, Gregory and McKay finished third in the 4x100m Medley Relay, were just out-touched for third in the 4x50m Medley Relay and also finished fourth in the 4x100m Freestyle Relay.
Rookie Mike Mather had a good first competition as a Sea-Hawk and finished top eight in the 200m breaststroke. His breaststroke and freestyle sprints were just outside the top eight and he will be a big part of the team in the future.
A full list of Memorial men's finishers and events can be found below:
- 200m free Haines 5th (1:59.47), Gregory 8th (2:01.92), McKay 13th (2:06.92)
- 50m back Haines 3rd (27.90), Roberts 16th (30.99)
- 200m breast Allen 5th (2:36.20), Mather 8th (2:42.48)
- 100m fly Gregory 8th (1:03.38), Roberts 15th (1:07.77)
- 200m Medley Relay Memorial 4th (1:51.95)
- 50m breast McKay 4th (30.65), Allen 11th (32.15), Mather 14th (34.19)
- 100m back Haines 1st (58.09), Gregory 9th (1:03.37)
- 100m free McKay 5th (53.79), Allen 10th (56.92), Mather 13th (57.30), Roberts 16th (58.49)
- 50m fly McKay 9th (28.49), Roberts 13th (29.35)
- 200m IM Allen 9th (2:22.30)
- 400m Medley Relay Memorial 3rd (4:04.46)
- 50m free Haines 8th (25.80), Gregory 9th (25.96), Mather 12th (26.16), Roberts 13th (26.18)
- 100m breast Allen 9th (1:11.06), Mather 11th (1:12.76)
- 200m back Haines 2nd (2:08.67), Gregory 4th (2:12.98)
- 400m free Memorial 4th (3:41.31)