Soccer season ends in New Brunswick

The Sea-Hawks soccer teams were playing with different motivations on the weekend trip to New Brunswick. On the women's side the team controlled their own playoff destiny but an inability to score cost them as they were eliminated from post-season contention after a loss to Moncton and a draw in Mount Allison.


The men were playing for pride trying to avoid finishing the season winless. On Saturday they played a tight game against Moncton but came up short 1-0. On Sunday the team gave an inspired effort versus Mount Allison but neither team could break through, finishing in a scoreless draw.


Women's Soccer

Saturday Moncton 2 Memorial 0 (boxscore)

The Moncton Aigles Bleues defended their home field, clinching a playoff spot with a 2-0 victory on Saturday in AUS women's soccer action.


Moncton had the majority of scoring chances in the first half, outshooting Memorial 5-2. Moncton's Melissa Katsaros opened the scoring in the 22nd minute with her second goal of the year.


The score remained 1-0 at the half.


Memorial mounted some pressure in the second half but quality scoring chances were few.


Hannah NoseworthyKayla Blanchard gave Moncton some insurance in the 80th minute as she scored after coming on as a substitution.


Memorial keeper Hannah Noseworthy had five saves in the loss. Despite the loss the Memorial defence did a good job of limiting opportunities for the speedy Moncton forwards.


The loss set up a must-win game against Mount Allison on Sunday.


Sunday Memorial 0 Mount Allison 0 (boxscore)

The Sea-Hawks women's soccer team needed a win on Sunday to ensure qualification for the AUS playoffs and, despite a good team effort, they fell short after a scoreless draw against Mount Allison in Sackville.


The teams came out fast early playing physical soccer in the midfield. Both teams had opportunities to break through in the first half but neither could beat the defense. The game was scoreless at the break.


The intensity increased in the second half with the Mounties earning multiple corner kicks. The Sea-Hawks limited these opportunities with the defense deflecting most of the shots off line.


The tension rose in the late moments, as Memorial knew that only a win would extend their season. The Mounties, needing only a tie, played very conservatively on defense to keep the game scoreless to the final whistle.


Memorial's best chance occurred with about fifteen minutes to play. Rookie forward Amy Brushett beat Mount Allison keeper Robin Bessmer but the ball rolled along the goal line before going out of play.


Mount Allison had seven corner kick opportunities to only one for Memorial.


Field conditions were poor with wet weather and a football game taking pace on the grass the previous day playing contributing factors.


Memorial keeper Hannah Noseworthy and the Mounties' Bessmer had the shutouts.


The Sea-Hawks finished seventh in the conference with a record of 3-5-5.


Mount Allison finished in the sixth and final playoff position with a record of 5-6-2. Both Moncton and Saint Mary's qualified for the AUS playoffs on the final day of the season with that same record.


The 2012 Subway AUS Championship will take place next weekend at Cape Breton University.


Men's Soccer

The Memorial men's soccer team was looking to avoid going winless on the season on the final weekend of competition. Despite an inspired effort the team's season-long offensive struggles continued and they ended the weekend with a loss and a draw.


Saturday Moncton 1 Memorial 0 (boxscore)

Jake WarrenOn Saturday the Sea-Hawks fell behind early to Moncton and could not find the equalizer despite working hard until the final whistle, losing 1-0.


Moncton's Maxime Daigle opened the scoring at the eleven-minute mark. The goal was Daigle's fifth of the year, the most on the team.


Jake Warren and Mark Elliott both got shots through to Moncton keeper Samuel Charron but they were turned away.


The play became more aggressive in the late moments as both sides were carded for physical play. Senior defender Jeff Slaney was red-carded in the 89th minute, forcing him to sit out Sunday, which would have been his last varsity game.


The Sea-Hawks could not draw even and the game ended 1-0 in favour of the Aigles Bleus.


Moncton outshot Memorial 12-3 and earned three second-half corner kicks. Memorial keeper Luke Olmstead was busy in goal for Memorial with three saves.


Sunday Mount Allison 0 Memorial 0 (boxscore)

The Sea-Hawks gave one of their best efforts of the season Sunday but the game finished scoreless, giving Memorial a draw against the Mounties to end their 2012 AUS season.


Memorial controlled the pace early as the Mounties had trouble cleaning up in the back end. In the 15th minute Mount Allison took the momentum as they nearly opened the scoring but forward Sam Bliss was whistled for offsides.


Late in the half Mount Allison kept the pressure on but Memorial keeper David Hickey made a nice stop on a header attempt by the Mounties Alex Zscheile.


The game was scoreless at the half.


Memorial came out with increased intensity in the second half with much crisper ball movement and tighter defense that limited the space for the Mounties offense.


Both teams had opportunities but the best chance came with about seven minutes left as substitute Cale Saunders sailed one just over the bar from close range.


In the last couple of moments Memorial had an opportunity on a corner kick that was cleared but during the play the Mounties keeper Jonas Hammar and defender Sam Bliss collided, resulting in both players having to leave the game.


Both teams played hard to the final whistle but neither could score. The game ended in a scoreless draw.


Hickey and Hammar had the clean sheets in the draw.


Memorial finished the season with a record of 0-11-2. Mount Allison finished in ninth place in the AUS with a record of 3-7-3.


The game was the final for senior Chris Pope. Jeff Slaney, also a senior, was forced to watch from the sidelines after picking up a red card on Saturday.