Women jump into playoff race; men playing for pride

Women's Soccer

The Memorial women's soccer team find themselves in the thick of the AUS playoff race after they came away from Fredericton with a draw and a win over the UNB Varsity Reds this weekend.


Saturday Memorial 1 UNB 1

On Saturday evening the Sea~Hawks overcame a slow start, giving up a goal in the tenth minute of play, to come away with a 1-1 draw.


UNB's Eden Vanderlaan opened the scoring on a Sea-Hawks miscue off a corner kick in the tenth minute of play to give UNB the early 1-0 lead.


The Sea~Hawks rallied back to tie the game on a goal by Alexe Morgan in the 26th minute, who netted her first goal of the season. Morgan kicked home a nicely struck ball from about 25 yards to tie the game.


The Sea~Hawks managed to control the momentum of play the rest of the way and were able to pressure the Reds backline throughout the second half. UNB's backline was bending but did not break, keeping the Memorial attack on the outside as UNB keeper Jackie Blank had plenty of room to make saves on the shots that did slip through.


The final score was a 1-1 draw.


Coach Walt Mavin was pleased with his team's effort. He said, "Credit to the girls for giving a good effort in the second half to come away with the draw."


The goal scorer's for both teams, Morgan and Vanderlaan, garnered player of the game honours.


Sunday Memorial 2 UNB 1

On Sunday the Sea~Hawks once again gave up an early goal, but turned the momentum around to mount a comeback 2-1 victory in Fredericton.


UNB's Sam Lagacy scored the first goal of the game on a strike from 25 yards in the fifth minute of play that Memorial keeper Hannah Noseworthy had no chance on.

Chelsea TillerMemorial increased the pressure after the opening goal and drew even off a nicely hit corner kick by Chelea Tiller that was finished by Heather Williams from six yards out. In the 61st minute, following a barrage of opportunities by the Sea~Hawks, Chelsea Tiller was able to net the eventual winner by kicking home a rebound to give the visiting team it's first lead of the weekend.


Memorial kept the pressure up until the final 10 minutes when the Varsity Reds began to push back and play with more urgency. Memorial's Noseworthy turned away a couple of chances to hold the lead for Memorial.


The Sea~Hawks, led by the steady defence of player of the game Maria Oliver, held off the Varsity Reds to close out the 2-1 victory.


Memorial outshot UNB 8-5 in the game.


Memorial now find themselves tied for fifth place in the AUS Standings with Saint Mary's and Moncton. Saint Mary's has played 10 games while Memorial and Moncton have both played nine games each.


Coach Walt Mavin felt the team's effort improved Sunday. He said, "I thought the team gave a much better effort on Sunday. We have our destiny in our own hands and now we have to come out and compete down the stretch to compete in the playoffs."


The Sea~Hawks have four games remaining with a crucial two game set next weekend at KGV against St. FX.


Fans are invited to the first ever Sea~Hawks Tailgate Party prior to the game that will feature BBQ and music by The Rolling Kings. Tailgate party starts at 12pm with the game kicking off at 1pm.


Men's Soccer

The Sea-Hawks men's soccer team continued their second half struggles in Fredericton losing both games of the weekend series to the Varsity Reds.


Saturday UNB 3 Memorial 0

The men's soccer team struggled to keep pace with the Varsity Reds all game long on Saturday night but found themselves down only 1-0 when extra time hit. However when the clock hit the ninety-minute mark the Varsity Reds turned up the heat on a cold night in Fredericton and finished the game with a 3-0 victory.


Ben Law opened the scoring for UNB to give them a 1-0 lead in the 69th minute.


In extra time the Sea~Hawks gave up four shots on keeper David Hickey.


UNB's Ben Law netted his second goal of the game before Youssuf Mohammed rounded out the scoring to make the final score UNB 3 Memorial 0.


Sunday UNB 3 Memorial 0

On Sunday the UNB Varsity Reds continued their strong play defeating the Memorial Sea-Hawks 3-0 to sweep the weekend series in Fredericton.


Memorial was without fifth year defender Chris Pope who had to sit for the second time this season due to accumulated yellow cards.


Luke Olmstead started in goal for the Sea~Hawks. Olmstead pick up a yellow card of his own when he initiated contact with UNB's Ben Law. Law left the game with an injury. UNB was unable to capitalize as Olmstead made a fine diving save on the ensuing penalty kick by Amir Razak.


UNB's Youssuf Mohammed opened the scoring in the 44th minute to give the Reds a 1-0 lead at half time.


Memorial second half woes continued Sunday as, in the 68th minute, UNB's Oliver Jones made it 2-0. Just four minutes later UNB's Yassin Shehab El Din sealed it to make it a 3-0 final for the home team.


The men play their final home games of the season next weekend October 20 and 21 at KGV versus the St, Francis Xavier X-men. Sunday's home games will be the final home games for fifth year players Jeff Slaney and Chris Pope.