Hamlyn named AUS second team all-star
Oct. 31, 2013 (HALIFAX, N.S.) - Atlantic University Sport announced the 2013 men's soccer all-stars and major award winners as selected by the conference's 10 head coaches on Thursday night. Memorial's Matthew Hamlyn, a fourth year defender, was named a second team all-star in the announcement.
Hamlyn, Memorial's team captain, was the leader of the Sea-Hawks this season. He provided head coach Scott Betts with an anchor in the backfield to provide a defensive stability that kept Memorial in most of their games this season.
Fourth-year Cape Breton Capers striker Ian Greedy was named the AUS most valuable player at Thursday night’s championship banquet.
Other AUS major award winners announced during the awards banquet hosted by Saint Mary’s University in Halifax, N.S., were the University of New Brunswick’s Diego Padhilha of Sau Paulo, Brazil, who was named rookie of the year; Dalhousie’s Nathan Rogers of Calgary, Alta., who received the student-athlete community service award; and UNB head coach Miles Pinsent who took home the AUS coach of the year award for the third time in his career.
FIRST AND SECOND TEAM ALL-STARS
First Team All-Stars:
- Striker – Ian Greedy, Cape Breton (4th year, Lower Sackville, N.S.)
- Striker – Bezick Evraire, Dalhousie (3rd year, Ottawa, Ont.)
- Striker – Cole MacMillan, UPEI (3rd year, Stanhope, P.E.I.)
- Midfielder – Diego Padhilha, UNB (1st year, Sau Paulo, Brazil)
- Midfielder – Sandro Rajkovic, Cape Breton (3rd year, Hamilton, Ont.)
- Midfielder – Randy Ribeiro, StFX (3rd year, Cambridge, Ont.)
- Midfielder – Ahmed Abdul-Rahman, Moncton (2nd, Western Region, Ghana)
- Defender – Pawel Gorski, Saint Mary’s (3rd year, Halifax, N.S.)
- Defender – Nathan Rogers, Dalhousie (5th year, Calgary, Alta.)
- Defender – Ben Law, UNB (5th year, Ottawa, Ont.)
- Keeper – Adam Miller, Saint Mary’s (4th year, Swindon, England)
Second Team All-Stars:
- Striker – Marcus Lees, UNB (1st year, Barrie, Ont.)
- Striker – Yousuf Mohammad, UNB (5th year, Toronto, Ont.)
- Midfielder – Maxime Daigle, Moncton (3rd year, Ottawa, Ont.)
- Midfielder – Cochrane Noseworthy-Smith, Acadia (3rd year, Wolfville, N.S.)
- Midfielder – Natneal Tecle, StFX (1st year, Calgary, Alta.)
- Defender – Andrew Snyder, Acadia (2nd year, Bridgewater, N.S.)
- Defender – Adrian Crace, Mount Allison (4th year, Halifax, N.S.)
- Defender – Matthew Hamlyn, Memorial (4th year, St. John’s N.L.)
- Defender – Ryan Ashlee, StFX (3rd year, Victoria, B.C.)
- Defender – Zak Riley, Cape Breton (1st year, Liverpool, England)
- Keeper – Jason Ross, Dalhousie (3rd year, Bedford, N.S.)
The 2013 Subway Atlantic University Sport men's soccer championship will be hosted by Saint Mary’s University, November 1-3, 2013.
Courtesy Atlantic University Sport