Memorial University’s varsity athletics handed out its 56th round of annual awards last night, Thursday, April 7.
Athletes, coaches, administrators and supporters of the Sea-Hawks were on hand as major award winners were announced.
This year’s recipients of the Butler Trophy for the male and female varsity athletes of the year were swimming’s Sam Leawood and wrestling’s Dennis Sutton (male co-winners) and volleyball’s Jill Snow.
Seven of Memorial’s graduating student-athletes were inducted into the Athletic Honour Society, which recognizes those that have made an outstanding contribution to the athletic program at Memorial University. Election to membership in the Athletic Honour Society is the highest athletic award that can be conferred on a student at Memorial University. This year’s inductees were Rebecca Amo-Mensah (basketball), Sam Burt (volleyball), Caleb Gould (basketball), Krista Hogan (volleyball), Noel Moffatt (basketball), Alexandra Morgan (soccer) and Greg Reid (soccer).
The Michael "Beecher" Smith Heart Award is presented annually to the student-athlete that goes above and beyond the call of duty in his or her sport. The award is in memory of Michael Smith, a varsity wrestler who passed away suddenly in January 2007. This year’s recipient was Maria Mackey of the women’s soccer team.
The Erin Bursey Leadership award is presented to a student-athlete who demonstrates outstanding leadership, commitment to their sport and who has been a great ambassador in the community. This year’s recipient was Carolyn Adams of women’s basketball.
Other major award honours awarded during the night included:
• Jubilee Cup (Most Outstanding Distance Runner): Connor Bolton
• Alan Ross Trophy for Soccer Male and Female Most Valuable Players: Hannah Rivken and Owen McAleese
• John Drinkwater Memorial Trophy (Varsity Swimmer of the Year): Sam Leawood
• Edward P. Browne Memorial Trophy (Outstanding Male and Female Inter- university Basketball Player): Sydney Stewart and Caleb Gould
• NLVA Most Valuable Player Awards: Jill Snow and Jordan Murray
• Wrestler of the Year: Dennis Sutton
Several scholarship recipients were also recognized during the evening, including:
• Damien and Denis Collier Scholarship: Dennis Sutton(wrestling)
• NLSA Soccer Awards: Keisha Younge and Alex Pretty
• NLVA Volleyball Award: Cody Harvey
• ANE Running Club Award: Jenny Brace and Connor Bolton
• Frank T. Butler Memorial Scholarship: Jill Snow (volleyball)
• Erin Bursey Memorial Leadership Award: Carolyn Adams (basketball)
• James Bayer Memorial Scholarship Nominee: Jessie Noseworthy (soccer)
• Emerging Leader Awards: Austin Chambers (basketball) and Lindsay Taylor (Basektball)