Memorial Athletics and the Sea-Hawks volleyball teams are excited to be hosting the 2nd Annual High School Tournament. The following will provide information about the tournament as well as how to submit your entry form.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS EVENT
DATES & DETAILS
Date: January 27th & 28th, 2017
Start Times: 2 PM, January 27th
Finish Times: Approximately 8 PM, January 28th
Venues: MUN Gymnasium, MUN Field House, St. John’s Powerplex, Brother Rice Public School
Great Competition & Atmosphere: The tournament will feature teams from across Canada
Tournament Program: Listing of past winners, tournament draw and Sea-Hawks home schedule Tournament T-shirt: Pre-ordered souvenir tournament t-shirts
1) No rosters are to be sent in. Rosters will not be provided on the game sheets or in the program. Teams will be responsible to write in rosters or create their own rosters on computer labels.
2) No linespeople will be used.
3) Teams MUST supply a scorekeeper (player or parent) for each of their matches, but are not expected to supply a lines person.
4) Team are encouraged to register early as space in the tournament tends to fill up quickly.
5) Coaches are responsible for following up to ensure we have received entry forms.
Each division will be based on registration numbers. Each team will be guaranteed four matches.
Senior High (A & B DIVISIONS): Teams must decide which division they would like to participant in. Please ensure that you specify which division your team will play in on the online registration form. Mikasa MVA 200 will be the ball used.
Junior High (Grade 7,8,9 - DIVISION C): Teams must decide which division they would like to participant in. Please ensure that you specify which division your team will play in on the online registration form. Mikasa MVA 200 will be the ball used.
Please note: There is a possibility that the tournament format will change depending on the registration demand for the various divisions.
Teams will need to provide one score keeper per match. This can be team managers or parents, provided that they have been suitably trained. Scorekeeper training information can be found following this link: www.volleyball.ca/content/officials-resources. Volleyball Canada score sheets will be used.
Will be completed by the Memorial Sea-Hawks Men's and Women’s Volleyball team.
Medals will be provided for first, second and third place teams in tier 1 of each division, as well as tournament all-stars for the senior high division. As well there will be a banner for winner of each tier 1 division.
ENTRY FEE: $250 + 15% HST ($287.50)/TEAM
No entries will be considered without receipt of fees by the January 13, 2017 deadline. Schools entering a team in the junior high and senior high divisions must send individual cheques for each entry. Cheques payable to Memorial University Women’s Volleyball. NO refunds will be issued after January 20th, 2017.
Memorial University Field House - 230 Elizabeth Avenue, St. John’s, NL
St. John’s Powerplex - 30 Crosbie Road, St. John’s, NL PARKING
Brother Rice Junior High - 75 Bonaventure Ave, St. John, NL
Area three parking lot will be available starting at 4pm on Friday and all day on Saturday at Memorial University. The Powerplex Sports Centre will have parking available all weekend.
The tournament is sanctioned by Newfoundland & Labrador Volleyball Association.
Senior High: Volleyball Canada tie-breaking procedures will be used. Libero can be used and changed for each separate set. Twelve unlimited sub rule will be used.
Junior High: Volleyball Canada tie-breaking procedures will be used. Libero can be used and changed for each separate set. Twelve unlimited sub rule will be used. Overhead pass on serve will be considered two contacts. The fair play rule will be in effect.
1) Please submit your entry form online. We cannot accept phone entries. Send cheques through regular mail or courier to: John Slauenwhite, Memorial Women’s Volleyball, 230 Elizabeth Ave., School of Human Kinetics & Recreation, St. John’s, N.L., A1C 5S7
2) Entry will not be confirmed until payment is received via cheque made out to Memorial University Women’s Volleyball.
1) January 13th, 2017 - Registration deadline
2) January 13th, 2017 - Entry fee due
(Note: refunds will NOT be issued after January 20th, 2017)
CRITERIA FOR DETERMINING ACCEPTANCE INTO THE EASTERN CANADIAN CHALLENGE
1) Completed entry form has been received by either the early or fall registration deadlines.
2) Payment has been received by the January 13th deadline
3) Preference for acceptance will be given based on the following criteria: a. Achieving a balance of local, out-of-region and out-of-province teams b. One team per school, per division unless there is space to accommodate a second team after the application deadline c. Strength of the team as indicated on the application form d. The date at which the completed application is received e. A school’s history of participation in the tournament
4) Valid email for coach or manager
Teams will be notified if they have been accepted into the tournament as soon as possible following the fall entry deadline. A tournament schedule will be posted on the Memorial Sea-Hawks website (www.goseahawks.ca). Completion of the registration process does not guarantee a spot in the tournament, keeping in mind the earlier you complete the application process the greater your chances of entry.
The Memorial Sea-Hawks have partnered with Super 8 and Holiday Inn to be able to offer preferred rooms during the tournament.
Holiday Inn St. John's Conference Centre
180 Portugal Cove Rd.
St. John's, NL
Please contact the Holiday Inn at 709-722-0506 to make reservations or click on the Sea-Hawks Rate link to make your reservation online.